1 remove completely from recognition or memory; "efface the memory of the time in the camps" [syn: obliterate]
2 make inconspicuous; "efface onself"
3 remove by or as if by rubbing or erasing; "Please erase the formula on the blackboard--it is wrong!" [syn: erase, rub out, score out, wipe off]
- Rhymes: -eɪs
- To erase (as anything
impressed or inscribed upon a surface); to render illegible or indiscernible.
- Do not efface what I've written on the chalkboard.
- To cause to disappear as if by rubbing out or
- Some people like to efface their own memories with alcohol.
- To make oneself inobtrusive as if due to
modesty or diffidence.
- Many people seem shy, but they really just efface for meekness.
- Of the cervix during
pregnancy, to thin and stretch in preparation for
- Some females efface 75% by the 39th week of pregnacy.
- Japanese: 消去する (shōkyo suru)
cause to disappear as if by rubbing out
- Japanese: 拭い去る (nuguisaru)
make oneself inobtrusive